I am also doing this project which was on my to-do list for almost a decade. I want to get rid of all my CDs. I don't want to see them. I have been ripping them here and there but I always wanted a complete solution that did not require me to rip them again. Especially after the advent of the iPod, the iTunes, this was possible. Now with dropbox we never give anyone a physical CD anymore, so why have them occupying space at home. So, this is my solution. If you think there is a better solution, or if I have overlooked something, do let me know.
- Music Archive files should be ripped in an open format and lossless from where I can import into any software/format in the future.
- iTunes running on all my computers should have access to high bit rate, may be not lossless, music so they can be played on good speakers with high quality.
- The iPhone should always sync from the laptop as it goes everywhere with me.
- A desktop pc, a macbook, a laptop pc and a 1 TB NAS
- Rip the CDs in a lossless wav format using Windows media player and store it on the RAID
- Rip the CDs in mp3s at
256320 Kbps and copy the collection on all the computers